Why is Fenrir Studios asking for Money? Game Design is Cheap right?…
Since beginning work on Dark Storm: Ascension in 2012 we have made tremendous progress on the game. A great number of assets, character designs, and levels have already been created with Epic’s Unreal Engine 4, and we have a dedicated crew of artists, audio designers, level designers, and other creative talents donating their time and energy to see the game completed. We have also already released a stand-alone test module entitled Dark Storm: VR Missions on Steam Early Access, designed to garner feedback from gamers and improve the final Dark Storm: Ascension build. Whilst as a team we have already achieved so much, in order to fulfil all our aims and ambitions for the Dark Storm project we require one final financial boost. This is why we need your help!
Every donation to support Dark Storm: Ascension will help us immensely in the final development stages of the game. We have a number of goals that we’re pushing towards in order to make this game as good as it can be. These include paying more team members so they can spend more time working on the game, improving our motion capture equipment, and increasing our marketing budget to ensure wider coverage of the game upon release. In independent game development every little really does help, and everyone at Fenrir Studios would be very grateful for any assistance you can provide. The last four years have been a real journey for us; starting out as indie game novices with an excitingly complex dream and travelling to the cusp of that dream being realised. We would be delighted for you to join us on the final steps of our journey.
So What is Dark Storm: Ascension?
Dark Storm: Ascension is a single-player stealth/action title inspired by classic games such as Metal Gear Solid and Deus Ex where you can be as covert or as gung-ho as you desire. You play the role of Amber Kingsley, a former Army Special Forces soldier that was dishonorably discharged after a failed mission in North Korea which resulted in the deaths of several members of her squad. Now riddled with guilt, Amber has joined Ancile, a private military corporation charged with protecting the Irving Apex Research Facility in Alaska. Hoping to recover from past ordeals and find a new purpose in life, she is reluctantly forced back into action when the base is assaulted by an unknown enemy.
- Single Player Campaign – The core of the game is its lengthy campaign, in which the player has freedom to choose their preferred play-style, be it stealth, action, or something in between.
- True First-Person – The game features an immersive first-person perspective that pulls you into the action in a believable way.
- Dynamic Third-Person Camera – If first-person isn’t your thing then you can also experience Dark Storm in an equally immersive third-person perspective, featuring a shoulder-switching camera.
- Powered by Unreal Engine 4 – Need we say more?
- A Cover System – For those ‘oh s#*% better get down’ moments.
- Full Voice-Over – Featuring professional voice acting for cutscenes, AI and characters to create an immersive experience within the Dark Storm world.
Because we want Dark Storm: Ascension to go above and beyond what other indie games aim for we are also working on these other exciting features:
- Dynamic A.I. – Play how you want and the AI will match it. The game’s AI are programmed to react intelligently to the player’s every move; flanking, calling in reinforcements or even tactically retreating depending on the situation.
- Mo-Cap Animations – Our ambitious desire to create a realistic and immersive world has led to use of high quality motion captured animations within the game.
- Scattered Text/Audio Logs – As you progress through the game you will discover hidden logs that add depth to the storyline and breathe life into the Dark Storm world, as written by Chris Buckner.
- Deployable Drone – Launch a tactical drone into the world, which will allow you to scout ahead to pinpoint enemy patrols, hidden positions, or a faster route to reach your objective.
- Sya Enhanced Projection – View on screen real time information about your enemy. Pinpoint enemy weak spots, information, and threat level on the fly.
- Noisemaker – A throwable noise-making device to distract AI and draw their attention. Customize the sound it makes with any audio file you wish, whether it be a song, noise, or even your own voice.
More artwork can also be found on our ArtStation portfolio.
Our work so far…
Alongside Dark Storm: Ascension we’re also working on Dark Storm: VR Missions, a stand-alone module built to test and fine-tune the core game mechanics that will be in Dark Storm: Ascension. This is currently available for purchase on Steam Early Access. All profits will go to further help fund Dark Storm: Ascension, and players will be able to use this test build to give feedback on the development of the final Ascension game. Those who do purchase VR Missions will also receive a discount to Dark Storm: Ascension upon its release.
You can buy the VR Missions stand-alone module if you want to help support its development below.
Thank you for reading – if you want to find out more about Fenrir Studios or Dark Storm: Ascension please take a look at our website. As mentioned earlier, every little you can spare to support us really does help, and in return we’ve got some cool rewards to give away as tokens of our appreciation.